Over our 11+ years in the wine touring business the Southern Highlands Wine Region is still one of our favourite places to take clients.
There’s so much to love about the Southern Highlands. From the moment you arrive and take in the fresh country air, you will find yourself saying “Ahhh, this is the life!” The Highlands has a sophisticated and luxurious country charm about it and there really are countless reasons to visit the area for a wine tour, but we have narrowed it down to our top 5!
5 reasons Why the Southern Highlands is the Perfect Destination for a Wine Tour:
1. World Class Award Winning Cool Climate Wines: The Southern Highlands is a cool climate wine region with vineyards ranging from 550 to 850m above sea level and the region creating a diverse range of wines such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon. Most of the cellar doors in the region, including the stunning Southern Highlands Winery, will offer you samples of their internationally acclaimed award winning drops!
- 2. Spoilt for choice – There are numerous cellar doors in the Southern Highlands Wine Region. From large commercial wineries with formal gardens and grand buildings, to the small boutique wineries hidden down tiny country lanes. Here you can enjoy a range of experiences and in many cases still get to meet the wine maker themselves.
- 3. Close proximity to the Sydney and Wollongong – Forget travelling 3+ hours through Sydney traffic to go to the Hunter. This incredible wine region is right on our doorstep. Just over an hour’s drive away from Sydney or Wollongong awaits a day trip or weekend wine tasting adventure.
- 4. The Scenery is picture perfect (and totally Insta worthy) with cozy cellar doors, roaring fire places, rolling green hills, gorgeous countryside, quaint villages and historic towns plus a host of formal gardens and working farms.
- 5. Food, glorious food! The Highlands Wine Region is also well known for its impressive gourmet produce. From distinguished restaurants, award winning cafes through to numerous growers and producers of fresh high-quality produce such as jams, cheeses, olives, meats and even truffles.
Kenny Escapes Hot Tips for a Wine Tour:
- Stock up! On a wine tour in the Highlands you will visit local boutique wineries where the wines aren’t always readily available in commercial shops (but are still at great prices!). If you don’t buy a bottle of your favourite wine or gourmet treat on the day, you will get home and wish you did, guaranteed.
- Don’t forget to swirl. Remember, much of taste relates to our sense of smell, so be sure to give your glass of wine a good swirl (keep the base of the glass on the bench to avoid spilling), place your nose deep into the glass and take a good breath in through the nose. Most wines that smell lovely will taste lovely! Don’t try this method with sparkling wines though, it will only help to make them flat!
- Enjoy an authentic Italian lunch at Southern Highland Winery – a favourite stop of our guests.
A little bit about Kenny Escapes Food Wine Experiences…
The team at Kenny Escapes are the award-winning experts in NSW South Coast and Southern Highlands food and wine tours.
You know that feeling when you’re sitting back with a beautiful glass of wine, looking out over the countryside, laughing with great company and you think this is the life? That’s exactly what we’re about.
We organise fun chartered day-trips from Sydney, Wollongong, the South Coast and Southern Highlands and we customise each tour to cater for your corporate group, hens party or bunch of friends. Whatever reason you have to celebrate, we’ve got the perfect day out for you.